Fall and winter, for me, is curling up under a warm blanket on the sofa with a hot drink, good company and a bad movie. So why not make the laziness just a bit more warm and fuzzy with delicious homemade cider that's like sipping on a mug of warm apple pie?
What you'll need
1 orange, whole
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 whole clove
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
8 cups (1.8 L)
Squeeze of lemon
1/3 cup brown sugar
Salted caramel sauce
- Core and roughly cut apples, leaving the peel on and placing in pot or slow cooker. The pectin in the apple peel will help to thicken the mixture.
- Place whole, washed orange in slow cooker with the apples.
- Cover apples with water and add spices and sugar.
- Set slow cooker to high for around 4 hours, or low for approximately 8 hours, until apples are soft. You can also boil this in a regular pot, keeping an eye on it. If the orange splits, fish it up and discard, as it can turn your mixture bitter.
- Blend the mixture well and sieve. Add lemon as needed.
- Serve warm topped with whipped cream drizzled with caramel sauce.
If you like this recipe and want to seem more like it, please leave a comment below. Feel free to contact me on Facebook or check out Twitter and Instagram @QuiteChefy, where I often post pictures of the food I make at culinary school.
Stay chefy, everyone!