Ingredients and Instructions
475 ml flour/2 cups
2 tbsp cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
175 ml sugar/ 3/4 cup
300 ml buttermilk/ 1 1/4 cups
120 ml melted butter/ 1/2 cup
2 tbsp red gel colouring or a bottle of liquid red
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
100 g cream cheese
50 ml sour cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar
- Sift together flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thickened and pale in colour.
- Whisk in buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla, food colouring and vinegar.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and carefully fold together until incorporated.
- Grease a nonstick pan or skillet and cook spoonfuls of pancakes on medium-low heat until bubbles form and pop on one side. Flip and cook a minute on the other side. They can burn quite easily, so keep an eye on them.
- Whisk together cream cheese, sour cream and powdered sugar. Drizzle over pancakes.
- Serve with toasted nuts, chopped chocolate or a drizzle of maple syrup.