What you'll need
3-4 chicken breasts
1 tbsp butter
1 yellow onion, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 garlic cloves (more if you like it garlicky like I do)
2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp crushed cumin
1 tsp paprika
1.5 tsk garam masala spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 can tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes (appx 250 ml or 8 oz)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
150 ml plain yoghurt
235 ml heavy cream
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp cilantro
Rice on the side (I used jasmine)
What to do
- Dry chicken well and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill or brown chicken on both sides. Cut into chunks and set aside. If it's pink, that's fine since it will finish cooking in the sauce later.
- Dice onion, garlic, ginger and chili finely or grind into a paste using a food processor or stick blender with chopper attachment. If you want a nice spicy dish, leave veins and seeds in the chili.
- Melt butter in a pan and sweat the paste for appx 2 minutes.
- Add spices and fry another minute.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cream, yoghurt and chicken.
- Simmer 10 minutes until thickened slightly and chicken is cooked through.
- Add fresh cilantro at the end and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Adjust heat accordingly with cayenne pepper and garam masala.
- Serve over rice with a sprinkle of cilantro over the top.
If you like this recipe, feel free to leave a like, share and comment below!